The fortress was established during World War II and consisted of a German coastal battery.
The batteries were built in 1941-42 using prisoners of war.
There were up to 5,000 German soldiers attached to the fort. The walls of this camp are approximately 1 km before the entrance of the fort.
The German fortress (Lødingen fort) was completed in 1942, and was an SME fort (operation of the German navy).
The main battery was 4 haubite cannons of 30.5 cm caliber.
The shooting range was 19,000 meters.
In addition, four 8.8 cm air defense guns (Flak) were installed and a 15 cm light gun in ship's shield.
The light cannon assisted the main battery by insertion.
The Norwegian defense took over the battery after the war, and changed its name to Nes fort.
In 1951-52 there were 4 seabed batteries built in concrete bunkers. In addition, modern fire management (radar, laser, infrared camera) and air protection came.
In 1955-56 the haubite cannons were removed.
In 1991-92 two 120 mm drilling guns were mounted on the fort. The shooting range was 25,000 m.
These were of the same type as at Meløyvær fort in Harstad and Kråkvåg fort in Trøndelag.
The fortress of Meløyvær is today a museum and you can book guided tours down into one of the cannons and the commando bunker.
Soon after the fort was shut down in 2002, all the cannons was removed and the bunker sealed.
Today, the concrete bunks, as well as a number of air defense, near-defense positions and riots remain in the area.
The top of one of the Bofors canons is located at the marina in memory of the Cold War.
There are many geocaches near interesting objects in the area.
For most geocachers, there is some information about the object where the cache is located.
Source/More info about the fort
Map References: (Cannonbunkers)
WGS84 desimal (lat, lon)
UTM32N (east, north)
UTM33N (east, north)
UTM35N (east, north)